SURF XR devnet meeting: Responsible XR + Try a device (28 februari 2024)

The focus of this developer network meeting is on Responsible XR, and specifically the practical aspects you face or are involved in as a developer:

• How much time and resources do you spend on responsible XR aspects, such as privacy, accessibility or inclusiveness?
  • Do you think these topics are important?
  • Would you like to be more focused on them within your projects, but don’t have the means to do so?

In the session we will have a presentation on Responsible XR from John Walker (from the team Futures & Values at SURF), followed by a more interactive part where you can discuss this topic with your peers.

09:45 - 10:00 Walk-in
10:00 - 10:15 Meeting intro & Developer Network update (Paul Melis, SURF) - slides (1.7 MB)
10:15 - 10:45 Overview of responsible XR (John Walker, SURF) - Mentimeter results (1.1 MB)
10:45 - 10:50 Break
10:50 - 12:00 Discussions on practical aspects of responsible XR (breakout groups, plus plenary summary)
12:00 - 13:00 Lunch + Try a Device!

This meeting is in-person at SURF Utrecht, includes lunch afterwards, and requires registration. See here for more information on how to join the developer network, and register for the meeting.

During lunch, you get the opportunity to try several new and/or less common devices:

• Lenovo Thinkreality VRX
  • XREAL Air 2 Pro
  • Magic Leap 2
  • Varjo XR-4 (if delivered in time) We did have it delivered, but the software (especially tracking performance) is still really bad. So I did not bring it to the meeting.

If you have any device that you would like to bring and have others try, please let us know (either as a reply here, or with a mail to xr@surf.nl)!

2 likes

Will this be the place where you will upload the presentations given?

Yes, I updated the schedule above to include my slides, plus the Menti results from John.

1 like

Check out the new post I just made for more information on the workshop!

Let me know if you have more questions.