Connecting Quest 3 to Eduroam

I had some issues connecting the Quest 3 to EduRoam, so i went googling and found this explanation which worked well for me:

tiborudvari.com/blog/connect-meta-quest-to-eduroam

1 like

Thanks a lot for the link! I managed to connect to eduroam in the past, but forgot the steps by now.

By the way, since eduroam is a bit limited (and needs a personal account), are you looking into using iotroam at BUAS?

1 like

Yeah, I had some issues as well, and most online sources didn’t help me either.

I know we have an iotroam, but I dont know about the current state of this network. Thank you for the tip, ill contact our tech support for this.

Our experiences with iotroam have been disappointing. For basic access to a network it’s fine, but iotroam blocks network traffic on most other ports. This severely limits its use in cases where a VR application needs to communicate to a remote server (like we do in most of our applications). Iotroam doesn’t even allow SSH access if both client and server are connected to it.

1 like

Well, iotroam is actually just an authentication layer, that controls who/what can access a particular network infrastructure, including optionally mapping devices to VLANs. By itself it imposes no limitations on network functionality, nor port access.

So any limitations you encounter are in the local UvA network setup, and is not under control of iotroam (or those limitations are implicitly the result of how the local iotroam configuration manages the devices). This decoupling is actually as intended, so that the local network setup can be chosen as needed (fully open, fully closed, somewhere in between), and to comply to any institution’s security policy, regardless of the authentication step.

Edit: some additions

Thanks for that clarification, Paul. In that case: Your Mileage May Vary! :grinning:
I would definitely like to hear about experiences from people at other organisations (if only to wave a stick at my ICT department…).

As an update:

We are unable to connect Quest 3 devices to eduroam since summer, likely due to new security levels.
We are now using iotroam (setup via iotroam.nl) to whitelist these devices.
While this works fine for us on local projects, we have problems with connecting to our own online server infrastructure (which seems to be a local IT setting)
IoTRoam limits the amount of devices that you can bind to your account (10 max), so use it carefully

Its a nice solution, but clearly requires some work

I asked our iotroam product manager about this. There’s basically two types of devices on iotroam:

• Personal devices - As the name suggests, these are personal devices, such as a smartwatch, usually not institute-owned. There can be limits placed on these by the managing institute. This is probably where the limit of max 10 devices comes from.
  • Group devices - For management of devices as a group. There is no limit to the number of devices that can be registered to a group (cannot be set), plus multiple accounts can be linked. A group also allows a VLAN to be set for the group, for better management and policies (e.g. firewall).

Also see the manual at https://servicedesk.surf.nl/wiki/display/WIKI/User+manual+iotroam

1 like